Monday, June 23, 2008

EFA quilt square

The Etsy For Animal street team is putting together a quilt for one of their fund raisers. Each member was to make a square of their choice within the guidelines established. I am not a member of this team, but Jcollander is. She asked me to make her square for her. It sounded like fun, and I had the time, so........

Here is what I came up with:

She asked for bold colors and I just happen to have the perfect colors! I asked which animal she wanted on the front thinking I could just do an appliqué. When she told me she liked geckos, I knew I had the perfect fabric for that! The gecko fabric is from a thrift store find. I wish I knew where to find more of that. The bright orange and green were in my stash. I'm supposed to be making pillowcases for Justin with it. I think they worked together wonderfully!

One of the requirements was to include the teams initials. With the fabric I chose, I knew I didn't want the letters to be super huge. I hand appliquéd three geckos to the fabric and then hand embroidered the letters on.

Also, you were supposed to put your store name on the border. The person who was in charge of this graciously allowed me to have my shop on the square also! I hand stitched both our shops in a blue that closely resembled the blues in the main square. I like how it gives it a rustic impression. Most times I prefer to free hand my words. I know I could get all anal and print out the words and get everything all lined up all nice and pretty...but I like it this way :)

The back is supposed to be plain. I wanted something that would POP. I wanted "our" square to stand out on the front and the back.

It needs a good pressing and then it will go in the mail.

This is the first time I did any kind of sashing/border around a square. Of course I did it "wrong", but on the next square I will know the "right" way to do it. Hubby was on the computer and I didn't want to bother him by asking to search for a tutorial on how to sew on a sashing. Plus, once I start searching I have a tendency to get sidetracked by all the pretty pictures and never finish the project! I also "cheated" by doing a simple square for the quilting. I think that this allows the design on the front to stay "crisp".

I forgot how much I love to quilt!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Barbie quilt top

(before being squared up)

Hubby's niece Candy is expecting her fourth child in October. The ultrasound says its going to be another girl. That makes 3 girls and 1 boy. I have a bunch of Barbie fat quarters so I decided to try my hand at the disappearing 9 patch. I used four different fabrics. I had all the 4" squares cut out and started to sew them together today. I actually finished the entire top in one day! I like quick quilts like that! Each square appeared a bit "busy", so I decided to try my hand at sashing again. (I learned how on my EFA square yesterday) What I learned today...don't use a fabric from your 9 patch to use as a sashing. I thought it would be a good way to use up some of those fat quarters, but it makes the squares blend into the sashing. I added the plain squares to the quilt for fun. I think I am going to make the backing from larger pieces of the Barbie fabric used on the front. I have awhile before I have to make any decisions about that. I figure the new mommy can use it for a blanket or as a play mat outside. They love to go outside and lay around in the grass.

What I love about Hubby's family is that they "use" what I make. They know I make things for them to enjoy and not to put up because they are afraid it will get "ruined". They also know if something does get ruined (well loved), I will just make them another!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dolls in a row afghan FINISHED!!

I finished the afghan! I changed up so much of the pattern too. It was fun to just keep crocheting and adding things until it felt done. If it weren't for the girls in the center, it wouldn't even resemble the original design!

This ghan was so much fun to make too. Now I want to start on one for the boys!

Monday, June 2, 2008

The start of a new afghan

I have an older magazine that has the Pink Paper Doll afghan pattern in it. I have been wanting to make it for a while now, just never got around to it. I finally dragged it out from deep within the pile of magazines I have been collecting and started it.

Of course I had to change most of it right off.! I like the girl in the center, but decided to skip the ponytails. This way it will be safer for a baby. I kept the rest of the girl the same, but changed everything else about the afghan :)

Here are three of the blocks before I added a border. I wasn't planning on adding an extra border, but it "needed" something else. Plus, this will allow me to use up some more of my yarn stash!

and with the green border added:

I plan on doing alternating pink and white squares. I also plan to add a border around the entire afghan when all the squares are put together.

Once this one is done, I think I'll make one with little boys in the center :)

The magazine is Country Crochet 1990