Sunday, June 22, 2008

Barbie quilt top

(before being squared up)

Hubby's niece Candy is expecting her fourth child in October. The ultrasound says its going to be another girl. That makes 3 girls and 1 boy. I have a bunch of Barbie fat quarters so I decided to try my hand at the disappearing 9 patch. I used four different fabrics. I had all the 4" squares cut out and started to sew them together today. I actually finished the entire top in one day! I like quick quilts like that! Each square appeared a bit "busy", so I decided to try my hand at sashing again. (I learned how on my EFA square yesterday) What I learned today...don't use a fabric from your 9 patch to use as a sashing. I thought it would be a good way to use up some of those fat quarters, but it makes the squares blend into the sashing. I added the plain squares to the quilt for fun. I think I am going to make the backing from larger pieces of the Barbie fabric used on the front. I have awhile before I have to make any decisions about that. I figure the new mommy can use it for a blanket or as a play mat outside. They love to go outside and lay around in the grass.

What I love about Hubby's family is that they "use" what I make. They know I make things for them to enjoy and not to put up because they are afraid it will get "ruined". They also know if something does get ruined (well loved), I will just make them another!