Saturday, April 23, 2011

Food



When I was working in the Cafe one of our regular ladies asked if I wanted any zucchini. I asked her if she had a garden and she said no, she lives next to a farm. The farmer allows her to pick what she wants from the farm. I thought that was very sweet of the farmer. I told her sure, I love zucchini. I was more than a bit surprised when she came back after lunch and brought me these. That big one is almost 14" long! I took the smaller one (which is still much bigger than ones from the store) and sliced it up like a cucumber. I froze them on a tray and them put them in a Ziploc bag. Those will be used with yellow squash or a couple family favorite dishes. The big guy I peeled and then shredded. The pieces were about 3" long. I layed those out on a cookie sheet and froze them also. Those will go in soups and for zucchini pancakes. I made a few zucchini pancakes already and they turned out great. They had a nice crisp crust and were pretty tasty.



Each Easter and Christmas I buy Peeps. The kids don't like them anymore but the dog and I do. I only eat a pack or two. I'm just a marshmallow lover. You can always find a bag of marshmallows in my cabinet. This week I have caramel/vanilla marshmallows. Anyways...Hubby stopped off at Walgreen's for his monthly cashew fix and he saw these Peeps freezer pops. He knows my marshmallow addiction and thought I would get a kick out of these. I was hesitant especially when I saw that the pops were marshmallow flavored and clear. I froze them and then caved and tried them today. The first bite was delicious. It reminded me of a creamy frosting. Halfway through it just got to be too much. The more I ate the funkier the taste became. Nice thought Peeps but a fail in my opinion.

4 comments:

pam said...

Robin! i had no idea FRESH zucchini could be frozen! I do this with berries - but never attempted with any veggie. Wow! Thank you!

A friend recently told me that you can substitute zucchini for apples and make a "mock" apple pie. Have you ever heard of this? Made one? Ate one?

Allie said...

Ugh zucchini - glad someone likes it, lol! That was very nice of that lady to give you some. The frozen peeps really sound awful....

Barb said...

Oh...that was nice of her....

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my goodness--frozen peep pops--what will they think of next???
Happy Easter to you and your family--
from Di and miss gracie