Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

I hope everyone had a happy and safe New Year's. We usually stay home. The roads get real crazy around here so it's safer to celebrate at home.

I joined a new swap over at Jane's blog. This time around we are swapping bright wonky house blocks. I've been practicing my hand appliqueing. Last night I was able to finish the appliques and today I added the grass and trimmed them up.


I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. Add some black sashing strips and it would make a fun quilt. I can't wait to see everyone else's houses. A few people have been working on theirs too. You can see them in the flickr group Jane set up for us.




We are also making siggy blocks. I plan on using them on the back of my quilt.



Have you made any resolutions for 2012?  I've made some simple goals for myself.

1. Finish all projects from previous years. I need to get better about finishing what I start.

2. Use up scraps and turn them into something useful.  I have way too many little bits of fabric that is shoved in too many drawers. I don't mind the pieces of fabric that are a fat quarter or larger sitting on the shelves but those little bits drive me crazy. Plus, they seem to multiply faster than I can use them.

3. Organize my house. My Grandparents raised me from age 2 until I was 13. My Grandmother was a pack rat and I picked that habit up from her. I have a bad habit of saving EVERYTHING. I've gotten better over the years but I still have room to improve. We are no where near hoarders but My Grandparents grew up during a time where you saved everything so it can be used again. Grandma used to save bread bags and ties, empty coffee cans, shoe laces, tiny pencils...you get the picture. I've gotten much better about saving household things (unless I can use them for a specific thing now) but when it comes to my craft supplies I'm still pretty bad.

That's it. Not a long list but it will keep me busy all year long. I need to go through my UFOs and take some pictures. That way I can see what needs to be done and I can get that little thrill when I check things off the list.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Your Wonky House Quilt is just fabulous Robin.
Good luck with your resolutions. I didn't make any so can't break them either. LOL
Have a wonderful 2012

Allie said...

Happy New Year! We stay home too, too many drunks with guns around here. I LOVE the Wonky House quilt, love it so much!! Such a cheerful thing to look at on a cold January day.

Your goals sound great hon, and very do-able.

pam said...

Love the Wonky house quilt! Can't wait to see it finished.

For only making three resolutions you have made them pretty big ones! They will indeed keep you busy all year!

Marilyn said...

Hi Robin, Your wonky houses are gorgeous. So are the ones on the Flickr group. Looking forward to seeing the ones you receive in the swap. It is going to be a happy quilt.