Earlier this month, I was wandering around blogland and came across Tallgrass Prairie Studio's Project Improv. I have been looking at a bunch of different quilting blogs lately. I guess I have caught the quilting bug. I have been looking at all the different swaps people are doing. I wanted to find something to get my feet wet. Project Improv was a great fit for me. We each need to make one wonky log cabin in the color group we chose. I went for the orange/pink group because I knew I had those colors in my stash. I made my first block and it went together so quick and easy! It took me less than a half hour. Since it came out looking nice I decided to go ahead and make one for each of the other color groups. These are the three blocks that I sent. They will be added to the charity quilts that are being made in each color group.
To see what everyone else is making go on over to the Flickr group.
I did a search for log cabin blocks to see what my options were. I saw many, many , many different versions. I tried one where you keep the beginning square in a corner (green/blue). Not bad, but not quite there either.
I saw one where you go around the main square in a specific sequence. It made the red/aqua block look very squarish. I like this one alot, but it might not work for a scrappy quilt if you don't have enough pieces in specific colors.
The pink/orange one was the first one I tried. I like how you just grab pieces and sew them on. Very free.
Now, I need to figure out what I am going to do for my personal Improv Project. Whatever it turns out to be, one thing I know is that it will be scrappy. Some of the things I want to make are coasters, placemats, purses, and quilts. I would like to eventually start and finish a spiderweb quilt. I would also like to make a crumb quilt, a crazy patch style quilt, and the list goes on and on. I think I am going to become one of those quilters that make lots of tops but only finishes a few quilts :)