Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holly Jolly Christmas Block Swap

I joined Aunt Pitty Pat's Holly Jolly Christmas Block Swap a couple months ago. I made my 9 patches on Christmas Day since I was looking for something easy to sew.



I'm in the non-traditional color group. When I went shopping for fabric I found these fun fabrics. The pink is nice and bright but not shocking bright. I thought the circles looked a bit like ornaments. Then I saw the black with the same circles and it was a done deal.




For my theme I chose Snowmen. I knew I wanted to do melting Snowmen. I'm doing some hand embroidered buttonhole stitches to outline the pieces. I thought these guys would be appropriate since I live in Florida and most of the ladies in my group are from Australia. I found the pattern over at FatCat. There's lots of fun applique patterns over there. These blocks will be squared up to 12.5" once I finish the embroidery. I like to cut my squares larger in case they shrink a bit when I do the embroidery.

4 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Don't you just love that fabric!!! I bought the white with blue circles for a string block baby quilt I'm doing. It comes in several different color ways. I was so tempted to buy just a smidge of each!! Love the snowman blocks too. That is so cute! Jenn

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I love the fabric for the 9-Patches and your snowmen, you are right, they will be perfect. I am so glad you shared your blocks!! It will be a fun quilt to see!

Barb said...

Love your blocks...truly love them...and how clever, a melting snowman!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi -- love those blocks--but what takes my breathe away is your background blog page--WOW---what a shock when I call up your page after all the winter scenes on the others!!! I love it!!!!
Have a great New Year's
Hugs, Di