Friday, December 28, 2018

Santa Ornaments




After I finished all my Christmas gifts I didn't want to jump into a big project so I decided to make a few ornaments. The long Santas with the folded over hats were in my UFO pile from 2011. They are paper pieced and I had the front of Santa finished and they just need their backs stitched on. I stopped because I realized that I used scraps for Santa's hats and I did not have enough of the matching fabric to back the ornaments. Since the hats are pulled to the front you can see the back of the ornament and the front of the hat. Seven years ago I wasn't able to get past this problem but now I have no problem with having Santa ornaments with mismatched hats. Nobody is going to realize I didn't follow the pattern exactly.  Apparently after I made my tall Santa ornaments there was a little controversy about copyright and who the design actually belonged to so I can't link to the pattern.  It's paper pieced and shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I make 16 because why make just one?

The triangle Santas are a paid for pattern that you can purchase here.  I don't know why my links are no longer highlighted and I can't find an easy fix but if you click the word "here" it will take you to the pattern.   The triangle Santas were super fun to make so I made 12. I really like that they have some batting in them and are lightly quilted. 

Both sets of ornaments need their hanging ribbons but I need to head to JoAnn's to buy some first. Then I'll be all set for Christmas 2019 lol.



I also spent a little time this morning cutting fabric for some charity quilts that I plan on making next year. I'll be 50 in February 2019 and my goal is to donate 50 items next year. 









2 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Very neat 'Santa's'--and we change some of our ideas as we get on in years don't we??
and I like you goal for this year--great way to celebrate a mile stone birthday--
enjoy, di

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Nice Santas C and you are getting a head start 😊 great goal for 2019!