Saturday, December 1, 2018

Stars & Bars Bed Runner and Friend Mail


My daughter asked me to make her a bed runner for her bed (of course lol). I made her a red and black quilt that she keeps on her bed year round. Earlier this year she upgraded from a twin to a double size bed. Which of course means she needed new bed linens. When I made her quilt I made it for a double bed so she doesn't need a new quilt. She ended up buying a blue bed in a bag set. So I thought I would mix reds and blues for her new bed runner. Of course if you use read and blue fabric you automatically tend to add some white.






It was a bit windy today. Picture me running back and forth trying to get the edges to lay flat in order to get a halfway decent picture. I added some seashells to the top edges but they weren't heavy enough.


I really like making wonky stars and I was planning on making the runner completely out of wonky stars with the possibility of adding some red or blue sashing but then I ran out of white fabric. So I decided to add some rail fence blocks. I made some blue-red-blue and others red-blue-red. I wanted to make some string blocks but my daughter is getting a bit impatient in a very polite way. She actually thought I was going to take two pieces of fabric and quilt a few lines on it and call it done. Now that she knows she's getting stars she's pretty excited. I have to dig through the stash and see what I can find for the backing. I might just end up making it reversible. I'm not sure if I have enough red or blue fabric that has been approved for the back anyways. My daughter does not like any fabric with flowers.


I received some exciting gifts in the mail this week. I had to stop at the counter at the post office to pick up this one because it wouldn't fit in my P.O. Box. As soon as I saw the package I was excited because I would tell that it was a plastic container wrapped in brown paper. I love storage containers.




The first I saw when I opened the lid was the Santa and Snowman embroidery patterns!!!  I love hand embroidery and snowmen and Santa are my favorites. There's even fabric to stitch them on - Bonus!!   So many fun things to try out. I've been wanting to try prewound bobbins and there are loads of them to choose from. 




I also received this lovely bundle of mini skeins of sock yarn. These will be added to my mitre square blanket. I may even use them as an advent calendar sort of thing this month.

Happy Crafting Everyone!!!!







3 comments:

Maria said...

Fabulous Bed Runner and what a great surprise your received in the mail.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love all you new gifts--and the bed runner for you daughter is really neat and I am glad she likes it--
keep crafting--
enjoy, di

dq said...

I love the idea of a bed runner. The Americana colors with bars and stars is perfect!