Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Hand Pieced QAL Block 1


When I heard that there was going to be a Hand Pieced QAL this year I knew that I wanted to participate. There are only 9 blocks so I'm hoping I can keep up (fingers crossed).


When I first found out about this QAL I couldn't wait to get started and I decided to make a little test block to see if my eyes and fingers could coordinate and actually do a little hand sewing. My little 4 patch turned out pretty good.

Then we waited....and waited... but while we waited our wonderful hostesses gave us some helpful tips that would help us in our journey. If you're interested in joining us you can find all the information at either Simple Handmade Everyday or Elm Street Quilts.


I'm going to make my little wall hanging using white as my background and these Bali 6" charms as my main color. 



I made my first block. I gave my desk lamp to my husband for his room and I think these old eyes need some more light to work on projects like this. I ordered myself a new desk lamp and it should be here in plenty of time for next week's block. A couple of my seams are slightly off but I'm okay with that. This is a learning process and I'm interested in seeing the difference between my first block and my last. 




I haven't pressed my seams yet. I need to pick up one of those rollers for hand pressing seams. For now, I will finger press them the best I can and worry about the seams later. 

Are you hand piecing with all of us? I've always wanted to hand sew a quilt from start to finish so I was very happy to see this QAL.














4 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

yep-- I am doing this one too--have to hand piece as I don't have a sewing machine!!!
got the first 4 sewn together yesterday--I did take and did do alot of hand piecing about 5 years ago or longer,but hadn't done any in a long time and had been wanting to do it again--so this came along at a perfect time for me--
also discovered yesterday that Crabapple hill is doing a neat embroidery stitch along for the month of Feb--so looked into that and have ordered the supplies I need to do that--!!! so to there facebook site for the most information on it--
it has been raining all day so far, but now is changing to snow--it will all be ice in a couple hours as the temps are dropping below freezing out there now--good hand stitching day!!!
luv, di

Quiltgal said...

Love your block Robin, great colours. Thanks for pointing me to your blog. I will be a regular now. Deb

Patty said...

Great block - thanks for joining the Hand Pieced QAL link-up!

Kathy said...

Nice. I will follow your blog.