Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Quilts for Babies and Giants



I finished Rob's Giants lap quilt. Sometimes I have to wonder if a quilt was meant to be made. For instance, this quilt fought me every step of the way.  Cutting the squares were a breeze and sewing them into 9 patch blocks went smoothly as well. Everything after that was a struggle.



After I cut the 9 patches I was supposed to turn, flip, and otherwise switch up the 4 smaller blocks and stitch them together. I chose to stitch them back together as a 9 patch. THE ORIGINAL 9 PATCH DESIGN!!!   UGH!!  So out comes the seam ripper and I get it all figured out and sewn together the way I wanted.


Then I chose a basic red thread to do a little free motion quilting. I've heard time and time again that instead of always dropping the feed dogs that you can just shorten your stitch length to zero. Cool. I do just that. Well let me tell you my Juki did not like that at all. I stitched an area probably 18" long and about 12" deep. Pulled the quilt out of the machine to check the back and....... eyelashes!! Yes Ma'am/Sir that little trick did not work for me. I picked out all the stitches, dropped the feed dogs, and tried again. Wonderful! It really is a dream to quilt on my Juki HZL-F600.



Did I have problems with the binding? Sure, but just the normal kind. I did a serpentine stitch down the "center" of the binding and a few times here and there I ran off the binding on the back. A little white thread on the backing fabric won't be noticed after it's been washed a few times.



No matter how nice the thread, red thread also seems to be extra lint-y.


There, that's better. Now, She's ready to start another quilt. I wonder what quilt will pop out next??







2 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I hate it when a project starts off great and then become a mountain one has to climb to finish it--but it looks like you mastered it--nice looking quilt--
luv, di

Kathy said...

Still beautiful and worth the troubles since I know where it is going to help hubby keep warm.