Friday, May 29, 2009





I've been following the Block Lotto blog for awhile now. Most of the time I either don't care for the block or just don't have the time to try it out. Last month they used the thrifty quilt block pattern. I loved the look and actually had those colors in my stash, so I gave it a try. Of course the ones I made were too small. That's when I figured out that my sewing machine has a special stitch just for quilting! It puts the needle position just right so you sew a perfect 1/4" seam. With all the quilts I have been making the perfect 1/4" didn't matter too much. It would have helped the points in my pinwheel quilt though. Now I just have to remember to change the stitch when I quilt.

Since I liked the pattern and colors so much, I decided to just go ahead and make my own quilt. This way I didn't have to take the chance of actually winning the block lotto that month. Plus, I knew all my blocks would be close to the same size and would fit together nicely. I want to add grey sashing to the blocks before I turn it into a quilt. I think a grey will set the colors off nicely.

The pic shows the 64 blocks I made recently. I had 4 different pinks in my stash that I thought would look nice in a quilt. The top left is John Deere fabric in pink stripe. The bottom right one is from a sheet I bough at Walmart for another quilt project. I made a total of 64 blocks. I had started off thinking an 8X8 quilt but I'm not too sure about that right now. When I was doing the math, I didn't figure in for the sashing pieces. I want the grey sashing to be a bit on the wide size. I'll know more about the actual finished quilt size when I get the grey bought and cut to the size
I think will look nice. Then I will have to figure out the binding color...maybe black-who knows.

0 comments: