Monday, June 28, 2010

On your mark, get set, GO!!!



After hearing me talk on and on about the Go! Cutter, Hubby told me last Saturday to just go ahead and order one already. I think it was his way of getting me to stop jabbering about it. lol. Of course he does want to see me have what I need to do my crafts with but I think it might have been for the piece and quiet he was hoping would come from the purchase. The big ole box arrived Thursday at 6pm. Of course that is an hour after I go to work. I kept watching for the FedEx truck and watched a couple cruise right by the house. That happens so often around here, I just don't understand. Anyways....



Friday was my day off so I decided to ignore all those things that need to be finished and play a bit. I took all my novelty fabric out of the stash and started cutting it up. Most pieces were around a fat quarter size. Some bigger, some smaller but nothing over 3/4 of a yard. I started by cutting some 6.5" squares out of the bigger pieces. Then I moved down to the 4 3/4" die. As the pieces became smaller I switched to smaller dies. I used the 3.5" and then finally the 2.5" die. I ended up with very little waste this way. Now I have a bunch of different size squares to use whenever the urge hits. I'm thinking of mixing and matching the different size squares into one quilt.

I also joined SewCalGal's team of bloggers that love their Accuquilt




I think my biggest concern with the Go! is going to be how fast I will need to replace the cutting mats. The cutting blades make marks on the mats each time you roll the fabric through the cutter. I did like the videos said and kept rotating and flipping the cutting mats but I don't know, they still look like they might wear out sooner than I had hoped. I guess I will just need to make sure I have some back up mats just in case.


I already know my next dies will be the rag die and the tumbler die and probably the apple core die also.

9 comments:

Barb said...

I have already gone through one mat. One of the videos said that a good thing to do was to order an extra one each time.... I have another one coming....soon...I keep saying soon.

Glad you like it, looks like you got alot done.

Joanne Lendaro said...

I have no idea on the mats life...but I am cutting the bajeebies out of my fabrics too! I need to settle down, and get a couple of these fun things put together! Have fun, and keep on GO!ing!!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

How fun for you! I want one so bad!!! :)

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I always knew your where just one big "cut" up!!!! Sounds like you are having fun while you are cutting up the stash though!!!!
Hugs, Di

Tangos Treasures said...

How Awesome for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Robin, looking forward to seeing how you go with the cutter..Warm Regards Lyn

Sandy said...

That looks like a nifty gadget! Saves a lot of time in cutting eh?! ;)
Maybe when I retire I'll make quilts. Love your Pink Panther header! Too CAUTE!!

Sandy

Unknown said...

wow! what a great husband....it just shows that good things happen when we whine enough.....not that I am calling you a whiner or anything.....LOL!

Quilter Mom of 3 said...

The cutting mats last quite a long time!!