Sunday, July 26, 2009

New quilt-along

Over at TheOldRedBarnCo Flickr group we are going to be doing another quilt-along. The group has decided to do a zigzag quilt using half square triangles. The actual quilt-along doesn't start until Monday, but I just couldn't wait to try this technique out! I knew that I wanted to use up the rest of my Christmas stash from 2 years ago. I had just enough to make a nice size baby top with some left overs. I like how the white breaks up the rows and helps the colors to pop. The colors are nice and bright.

I had a few blocks left over since I never really plan how many of each block to make. I knew they would be perfect for pinwheels.

So....I made this wall hanging. I was surprised that the whole family liked this little quilt. I had it draped over my sewing machine (in the living room) and my 10 year old son stopped and said wow I really like that one! Makes me smile :)


I tried a different way of attaching the binding to see if I liked it. Not really sure about it yet. I think I need some practice to see if I really like it or not.

I stitched the binding to the back of the quilt first. Then I flipped it over and machine stitched close to the inside edge of the binding. There is still spots on the back where you can see the stitches. It might have something to do with the fact that I didn't pin though. I figured since it was a wall hanging I would just wing it.



***another quilt top to add to the pile of things to finish***

0 comments: