Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Talk To Me Tuesday # 14 October 24, 2017

Another week has come and gone in the blink of an eye yet again. We've reached that time of the year when time just flies. Another Tuesday has arrived on the calendar which means I have a new Talk To Me Tuesday video up on my RsIslandCrafts - Robin  Youtube channel. You can find the TTMT playlist here.







 This week I decided to play with some kitchen towels. Like most people we hang a drying towel from the oven door handle. And like most houses our towels are plain and boring. We're ready for some new towels and I thought it would be fun to gussy them up a bit. I did make a Sew with me video that you can find over here.


This one is from the new pumpkin fabric I found at Walmart last week. I didn't waste any time cutting into this fat quarter. I actually chose some Autumn type fabrics just for this purpose.



This turkey fabric is cute but I chopped the poor turkey's heads off lol. Well, Thanksgiving is coming soon, right?  I made the pumpkins first and then just carried over the same measurements to the turkey fabric without taking into consideration of the overall design. No worries, this towel will now become a Thanksgiving gift for my kids ;) We are celebrating the first Thanksgiving in their house this year.  They'll be so happy to have another clean towel that they won't even notice the headless turkeys. Sssshhh.




I made this towel using the same plaid shirt fabric from Robbie's quilt. The red plaid border is from the leftover binding from the plaid quilt. This will be part of Robbie's Christmas gifts. I'm not too sure he will even notice it came from his shirts.




We like to use hand/kitchen towels to protect the arms of our recliners and couch. I made NY Giants covers for Hubby several years ago and he was ready for some new covers. He basically had quilted placemats previously but they had a habit of sliding off the arms of his chair so I decided some towels would be a better option for him. I put a strip of Giants fabric on the top of both sides of the towel but on the reverse side it's at the opposite end and sort of upside down but not really. Clear as mud, right? To keep the wear even i thought that when hubby flips the towel to the second side he can also rotate it so the top where he puts his hand can now be the bottom where he puts his elbow. Wow, that was a lot of words to describe something so simple.   By the way, my recliner just has hand towels the same color as the chair. 


My oldest is a manager at Tijuana Flats and he is currently in charge of the dining room area of his store. Another manager is in charge of the kitchen area. When he inherited his area there were several chairs with torn or worn out seats. The seats are covered in vinyl. We spent a couple hours on Sunday and recovered 7 seats. WooHoo!! We can now add reupholstering to our resume. lol Not really but they did turn out really well. I've reupholstered a seat once before but it's so very easy that anyone can do it. I do think it's easier with two people though. Plus, it's  more fun. We have another 10 more to reupholster this upcoming weekend.  

I taught my kids well. My son went to Joann's for the vinyl and went right to the red tag section and found this bolt of vinyl and because I've taught him how to shop well he also used a 20% coupon from his phone that also worked on sale and clearance items. He bought all that was on the bolt so he also got the end of the bolt less than a yard discount that Joann's offers. I believe he said he bought 5.75 yards of vinyl, a staple remover, and a pack of 1,000 staples for less than $20!!  Great job Justin! Momma's proud!





2 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I do love it when the 'kids' do something that one has taught them when they were young--
and after not being around my kids much at all for 20 years, the last 2 have been interesting--as I see habits and traits they both use that I know are 'family' ones-even likes and dislikes sometimes amaze me--cause you realize that more than one realizes are 'gene' habits--not just from having lived with them --know what I mean??? not sure I was clear on what I was trying to say here?????
been a long day --went to the Zoo again today and then out to lunch--so am tired--
enjoy the moments, di

Barb said...

I love love doing kitchen towels....my favorite...