Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Give a-way quilt


OK, here is the quilt for the 13 Days Of Give a-ways in October. It measures 40" square. The top was all hand pieced (not by me). This is the quilt top I won over at Barb's. She picked it up at a garage sale in Texas I believe way back when.  I did the quilting and put on the binding. Yippee! This little one took longer to quilt than I expected. Granted it was only 3 hours, but I thought I could get it done in half that time. I guess I didn't take into account that I was quilting it to within a few inches of it's life lol. This is the tightest quilting I've done so far. I was surprised that this little beauty took almost 4 bobbins to quilt.

 
I went with a simple white sheet for the back. I tried a few other fabrics but didn't like the way the colors looked. So, I went with the basics again. Clean and simple.

The binding is from another white sheet that I dyed awhile back. I think it brings the pink out of the front of the quilt nicely.  When I first received this quilt top, Hubby say he didn't care for the look of it. Now that it is all quilted....he loves it and wants to keep it. I told him NO! This baby is going to part of my give a-way. Plus, it really doesn't match any of us in the house. Since I won it in a give a-way, I thought it would be the perfect quilt to pass on.   I was a little worried when I first sandwiched it all together though. It felt a little "stiff". Now that it is done and had a trip through the washer and dryer, it feels all soft and crinkly. I tried to explain "crinkly" to Hubby before but he just couldn't grasp what I was describing. He made all these awful faces and said he wouldn't want a "crinkly" quilt. Now that he could see and feel what I was so bad at describing, he loves it. It's so nice and soft. This will make a great baby quilt or a lap quilt for someone.

3 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

what a great job, and I love your new header, wonderful fall quilt!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

That quilt is beautiful!

Kidget29 said...

Your afghans are absolutely gorgeous!! I am envious. I crochet very well and can knit and do other crafts but quilting has eluded me I just can't do it !! Great work your talent is remarkable.