Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bits and Pieces

I finally decided on a new hand sewing project to take to doctor's appointments and such.



I'm using some wonderful fabric that I bought from Barb awhile back. I was first thinking about making a Lone Star quilt but I couldn't decide on what order to use the colors and how many rows of each, etc. So instead I am making these stars. I'm leaning towards using a light grey fabric for the fill in diamonds in between the flowers. I'll know if a light grey will work after I get a bunch more stars put together.

Right now I am battling a rotten asthma attack and can't concentrate very well. Basting these little diamonds are a real no brainer so this is about all I have been working on lately.


This is the container I use to store my in progress diamonds. I think the diamonds will sew together a bit easier if I iron them first. This is the first time I have hand sewn diamonds. I usually work with hexagons but diamonds are fun if not a bit fiddly. Next month I need to order some orange, brown, and yellow. Eventually I would like this to be a king size quilt. When it is all put together I also plan on hand quilting it. I'm kind of excited about working on this project.

6 comments:

sunny said...

Sounds pretty ambitious to me! I can't wait to see the diamonds. Is this a long-time ongoing project?

Barb said...

wow, that fabric is beautiful, I know you got it from me but I don't remember it.....maybe I should have kept me back some??? You are doing an awesome job....and I love how organized you are. Sorry you are not well..hope you get over the attack!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Now is not the time to get sick--do you hear me--so just stop it now!!!
If only it were that easy--hu????
Love those diamonds--they say 'diamonds are a girls best friend' so you have hit on something good there!!! I really need to get my English paper piecing fabrics cut and start on them--HA HA!!! I got all the fabrics when I got the kit to do them--but now I think I have changed my mind on the fabric colors--go figure????
Hugs, Di

Unknown said...

I love the fabric and the stars. I am just not a good hand sewer. Sometimes I will try and I just confirm that I am not....sorry about your asthma...it is miserable...

Kristen said...

Pretty colors! NO way I have something like this too!!I need to get it out now.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow, I have a hard time with hex's, stars are going to be amazing! I also have some of Barb's fabric, it is so beautiful. I am looking forward to watching you make this quilt. hope by today you are feeling better.