Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thrifty blocks


I came across this swap last year. I ended up not joining though because that was before I figured out how to do a scant 1/4" seam. I had only been quilting for a very short time and couldn't get my blocks to look right or be the right size. So, I decided to just go ahead and make a bunch of blocks because I liked the pattern and colors the swappers chose. I had these in my drawer of blocks also. I was planning on sashing them in grey. I've recently come to realize that I am not very good at matching up sashing. With that in mind, I decided to just put a border of grey around each block and then sew them together. I can match seams this way so it was a win win situation. I got the look I wanted plus matching seams.



I had some extra blocks so I made a little doll quilt top.




I didn't have enough grey for these blocks. I think I will incorporate them into the back of the big quilt.


I like seeing my miscellaneous block drawer emptying. I'm sure it will be filling back up pretty soon though.

5 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

Looks good! Way to go.

Unknown said...

looks great.....not to long ago Betsy from Quilting Fiesta made a quilt using all her left over blocks, it was a hodge podge of stuff, it looked great though

Alice said...

Very nice--I need to empty a few block drawers. I am sure they have babies while I sleep!!

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL you really are on a roll!! Nice job!!

Carol said...

They remind me of licorice allsorts one of my dad's favorite candies/sweets. :) Very pretty.