Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Little "Studio"


This is my little sewing corner of the world. It is set up between the living room and the kitchen. My spot on the couch is just to the right of the picture.

I have a love/dislike relationship with my sewing area where it is. I love that I can sew and still be in the middle of everything going on with the family but sometimes it can drive me crazy being right in the middle of everything going on with the family lol.

For now, this is the perfect little spot for me. I have everything I need right at my finger tips. I am using Robbie's old desk to hold my sewing machine and all those things I need. The drawers work out great to hold projects and scraps. The center drawer holds my scissors, sewing machine needles and accessories, rulers, pencils, etc. The top left drawer is crammed full of scraps. These are the bits and pieces left over from cutting blocks. Nothing too big in here. The second drawer stores my laptop and a couple in progress quilt tops. The last drawer holds all my finished quilt tops that are ready for batting, backing, and quilting. This is a great system because I can only fit so many tops in that drawer. Once it is full it forces me to actually turn the tops into quilts before I can move on to other projects.



This little gadget was a perfect accessory for my spot. For the longest time I was constantly getting up and going into the kitchen to iron all my pieces and blocks. I think I spent more time walking than sewing lol. Good exercise but not great for time management!  Then Hubby suggested we put up a power strip. DUH! Don't know why I didn't think of that a long time ago. Now I can use my little table top ironing board right next my sewing area. Thanks Hubby!




9 comments:

Searchfamilies said...

I think unless we had a big sewing studio we never really happy with our space especially if it small, i use a bedroom the smallest one & it nowhere near big enough my computer is in there as well plus my stash so i need more space lol
Hugs Janice

Anne said...

Love how everything is right at your fingertips! I don't think I'd ever leave that spot!

Unknown said...

this is just about how I started out too! I have moved since then and have more space, but it stopped me from buying more than I needed! I made a lot of quilts in my little spot and it looks like you do the same!

virtuallori said...

I think even when we get a big space, we're always tweaking it and never quite completely satisfied. There's always something to improve. The vertically mounted power strip is a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing your space.

Mary Johnson said...

When I started sewing I used the dining room table -- since our floor plan was open, that was between the kitchen and living room. Now I take over most of the house! Technically I have 2 rooms -- one for the longarm and one for my sewing machine and fabric but I have stuff everywhere.

Anke Martin said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing your Studio! It's for sure a great thing to have anything close by and kind of being close to the family action...that's what I miss sometimes in my basement Studio....smiles, Anke ;)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You have a perfect little space that obviously works well! Thanks so much for inviting us to visit.
Cheers
MAry Anne

2paw said...

I have a spare room but I hate being away from everything, so I sew in the dining room!!! Your set up is much better though because you have Everything at your fingertips!!!

dianne said...

i have a "sewing room" that i share with my daughter ... and the quilting frame is in the family room (making a mess of things and in the way - it is huge ... but the place i feel MOST comfortable sewing is the dining room table